AMCAL is a rapidly growing developer and general contractor of diverse real estate projects, is seeking an energetic individual to fill the position of Construction Manager, initially and primarily for the project management of the fee general contracting of developments for outside developers. Primary job responsibilities will be related to the construction management of multi-family residential projects throughout Texas, and especially urban in-fill developments in the Dallas and Houston areas.
Candidates for the Construction Manager position should have extensive experience in a combination of the following areas: the pre-construction process with regard to interfacing with the developer’s representatives, city government especially with regard to the permitting process, architects, civil, structural, mechanical, electrical and plumbing engineers, utility companies, construction consultants, and construction lender’s representatives; subcontract bidding, negotiation and purchasing, construction scheduling, and the management and tracking of construction jobs from conception to finish including the management and overseeing of field superintendents and some in-house personnel.
The Candidates should be skilled with the MS Office suite, specifically Excel and also critical path construction scheduling program(s) - preferably MS Projects, and recognize that detail oriented tasks are critical to a business’ long-term success. This is an upper mid-level management position reporting to the Vice President of Construction, with responsibility based on demonstrated ability.
- Work with company’s development team as required and as critical to the design and processing of plans and permits and clearing all on-site environmental conditions.
- Track all requests for information and submittals via log.
- Prepare preliminary job cost estimates as may be required internally and for developers.
- Work with utility and city agencies as required.
- Value engineering of plans as required.
- Bidding of preliminary plans as required.
- Work with superintendent on setting up site for staging the construction process.
- Prepare preliminary construction schedule.
- Final bid, negotiate and let major trade subcontracts and prepare contracts and oversee execution of same.
- Final bid, negotiate and let balance of trade subcontracts.
- Negotiate and authorize all change orders.
- Drive, track and manage the construction process to completion including the continued tracking all submittals, shop drawings, RFI’s, etc.
- Authorize payment for all construction draws and work with construction lender's inspectors as required.
- Update job cost at least monthly and update projections yet to be let line item costs.
- Finalize and update construction schedule on a weekly basis with clearly defined milestones.
- Directly monitor superintendent and all on site activities via weekly visits to construction sites or as required.
- Troubleshoot and solve problems as required with regard to subcontractors, city and in-house issues as may be required.
- Attend all critical meetings with the development team at the construction site as required.
- Oversee transition to asset management and/or property management.
- Pursue and obtain all bond clearances.
- Prepare close-out package for lender.
- Oversee warranty issues as needed in conjunction with the management company.
- Finalize construction job cost and utilize as an historical tool.
- Prepare close out package for asset/property management.
- Research and create better means and methods wherever possible on an ongoing basis.
- Create and maintain a data base of historical costs and construction information.
- Create/use and update project-tracking processes.
- Source new subcontractors and consultants.
- Oversee and maintain a thorough paper trail including the overseeing of all construction related filing with assistant and the personal saving and filing of all electronic files accordingly.
- Salary – DOE
- Health/Dental/Chiropractic coverage available for individual after three months.
- Dependents can be covered at employee’s expense.
- Life Insurance after 3 months.
- 401K participation after 6 months.
- Three weeks’ leave (vacation, personal, sick) per year for the first six years.
- Eight paid holidays per year.
- Discretionary bonus paid annually based on individual and company performance.