Assistant Construction Manager
AMCAL General Contractors, Inc. is part of the AMCAL group of companies; a rapidly growing developer and general contractor of diverse real estate projects, is seeking an energetic individual to fill the position of Assistant Construction Manager, initially and primarily for the project management of the fee general contracting of developments for AMCAL's own projects and outside developers. Primary job responsibilities will be related to the construction management of multi-family residential projects throughout California, and especially urban in-fill developments in the Los Angeles area.
Candidates for the Assistant Construction Manager position should have extensive experience in a combination of the following areas: the pre-construction process with regard to interfacing with the developer's representatives, city government especially with regard to the permitting process, architects, civil, structural, mechanical, electrical and plumbing engineers, utility companies, construction consultants, and construction lender's representatives; subcontract bidding, negotiation and purchasing, construction scheduling, and the management and tracking of construction jobs from conception to finish including the management and overseeing of field superintendents and some in-house personnel.
The Candidates should be skilled with the MS Office suite, specifically Excel and also critical path construction scheduling program(s) - preferably MS Projects, and recognize that detail oriented tasks are critical to a business' long-term success. This is a mid-level management position reporting to the Construction Manager, with responsibility based on demonstrated ability.
- Assistant Construction Manager shall become very familiar with all aspects of the plans and reports relevant to each project prior to assisting Construction Manager with all purchasing and project monitoring, and shall attempt to obtain qualified preliminary and final pricing on various generations of plans as the need may arise. Visit the site, under the guidance of the Construction Manager, as soon as possible and become familiar with it and the area and any potential critical issues that may affect the construction costs and schedules.
- Assistant Construction Manager shall work with the Construction Manager to become aware of relevant City conditions and the local codes involved on the individual project venues.
- Assistant Construction Manager shall become familiar the TCAC requirements for each project, be they be senior, family, farm worker or other similar classified product types as they may occur. Assistant Construction Manager shall review all plans and reports in light of the required TCAC issues to be addressed and implemented.
- Review the Preconstruction and Preliminary Construction Schedule to become familiar with the time of year the project is to start and elements relating to that such as environmental issues, erosion control, excavation, etc...
- Assistant Construction Manager shall assist Construction Manager in analyzing all construction means and methods with the Project Superintendent and determine the most efficient and cost effective way to proceed.
- Assistant Construction Manager shall assist Construction Manager as may be required in compiling historical costs of similar projects and use his experience and expertise in analyzing the project for more cost efficient ways of design.
- Assistant Construction Manager shall become familiar with the specific CALOSHA safety procedures and requirements in general and that may be specific to a particular job.
- Assist Construction Manager to aid in his/her purchasing of the project in an Expeditious manner.
- CM shall be able to issue, analyze and monitor Requests for Information/Submittals and monitor the various logs for same.
- Assistant CM shall assist Construction Manager in the preparation a bid spread sheet that shows all bidders and a comparison of the primary elements involved in the purchase such as breaking out material from labor, unit pricing, and an "apples to apples" comparison of items bid, along with CM's recommendation for the subcontractor or supplier to be awarded the contract.
- Assistant Construction Manager shall assist Construction Manager in making sure that all contracts shall be awarded at least one month prior to the work starting on the project.
- Assistant Construction Manager shall disburse and manage all plan distribution, including all subsequent revisions to plans. Assistant CM shall make sure that all subcontractors affected by revisions in plans (RFI or Delta's) are notified and any cost impacts/delays are obtained and documented.
- Use of personal vehicle will be required (valid driver's license and insurance required)
- Exemplary organizational and communication skills, a high capacity to multi-task, and the ability to manage consultants and personalities are prerequisites
- Position based in Agoura Hills, CA - relocation not covered
- A criminal background check and review of current driving record may be required
- Salary - DOE
- Health/Dental/Chiropractic coverage available for individual after three months. Dependents can be covered at employee's expense
- Life Insurance
- 401K participation
- Three weeks leave (vacation, personal, sick) for the first six years
- Eight paid holidays
- Discretionary bonus based on individual and company performance after FYE