Director of Pre-Construction
AMCAL, General Contractors, Inc., a rapidly growing developer/builder of diverse real estate projects that builds multi-residential apartment and condominium and single family residence projects, is seeking an energetic individual to fill the position of Construction Manager with significant experience in urban infill 3 and 4 story Type V construction over single and multi-level Type I podium style garage structures, 2 and 3 story slab-on-grade sub-urban and rural apartment projects including off- and on-site utility infrastructure and street improvement work.
The Director of Pre-Construction is responsible for overseeing the planning design and construction
document phases of a variety of multifamily residential projects. The Director of Pre-Construction will be
expected to offer input as well as real-time feedback as to the design efficiencies and cost implications
related to choices and options in the design of the project, and in the selection of appropriate product
type, materials, assemblies, systems and finishes. The position will oversee the preparation and updating
of schedules for the issuance of construction cost estimates, the preparation of the construction
documents, the issuance of site logistics and the construction of the project. This position is also
responsible for participating in providing both conceptual and detailed construction cost estimates and
- Takes a leadership role during the design and construction document phases of the project in an effort to reduce construction costs through design efficiencies and value engineering.
- Collaborates with architects, engineers and other design and third party consultants in the preparation and review of contract documents including landscape architects and interim designs.
- Communicates with Construction President, Vice President, Construction Manager, Director of Market Rate Development and Project Manager on project design, pricing models, forecasting, trends and issues.
- Keeps abreast of new construction technologies and products in the industry.
- Leads the constructability review and redlines of plans and specifications at designated design milestones.
- Develops RFP for design-build subcontractors and leads the coordination meetings for these subcontractors during the design process.
- Assists Project Managers by providing data and support needed in the underwriting and reporting of project updates and changes.
- Oversees and manages other staff who have been assigned to pre-construction efforts. Responsible for participating in the recruitment of other personnel needed to execute the Pre-Construction tasks and responsibilities.
- Maintenance of certain appropriate historical data and records of past projects.
- Collaborates with the project cost estimating group in assuring design efficiencies, design build elements/scopes, cost control, quality of construction and value engineering.
- Development and updating of pricing models which are used in establishing costs in the underwriting of new projects.
- Coordinates the project cost estimating process with project staff.
- Ability to provide both conceptual estimates of cost and detailed line item budgeting for projects in varying stages of design and development.
- Ability to estimate and forecast time periods required in the construction of projects.
- Preparation and Distribution of bid packages, review, spreading and comparison of bid proposals and conducting interviews of potential subcontractors and vendors.
- Maintains pricing data necessary in meeting prescribed procedures and practices unique to certain local inspecting authorities.
- Establishes relationships with material suppliers, subcontractors and other construction pre-con managers and estimators in the local market and performs necessary and continuous market research on costing and pricing trends affecting the industry.
- Provides periodic updates on local market costs.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of construction practices and procedures, scheduling and safety standards and programs.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, take off and estimating software and scheduling programs.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Auto Cad, Rivet, BIM, Procore are desired.
- Strong organization, time-management, personnel management/oversight skills.
- Ability to communicate well in English both written and verbally.
- Must be able to participate in site visits and job-walks.
- Exemplary organization and communication skills, a high capacity to multi-task, and the ability to work well with others are prerequisites.
- Personable and persuasive.
- Thorough and detail-oriented.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Excel and BidMail.
- A criminal background check and review of current driving record may be required.
- Use of personal vehicle will be required for travel and a valid driver’s license and insurance is required.
- Position based in Agoura Hills. Relocation not covered.
- Salary – DOE
- Health/Dental/Chiropractic coverage available for individual after three months. Dependents can be covered at employee’s expense
- Life Insurance
- 401K participation
- Three weeks leave (vacation, personal, sick) for the first six years
- Eight paid holidays
- Discretionary bonus based on individual and company performance after FYE