AMCAL Multi-Housing, Inc., a developer of affordable and market rate housing, is seeking a Project Manager to undertake the development of affordable housing for families, seniors and people with special needs. Primary job responsibilities will be to coordinate, implement, and manage activities related to affordable housing development throughout California. Development includes the acquisition of land, performing all tasks necessary to conduct feasibility analysis, obtaining entitlements, preparing proformas and applications to obtain all necessary project financing, and coordinating with the development team to obtain all required permits to start construction. This position will work out of the Agoura Hills office in a fast-paced work environment.
Applicant should have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree and five 5-10 years on the job experience in real estate development with an emphasis in multi-family housing and/or affordable housing development project management. OR a Master’s degree in real estate, city and regional planning, business, finance, public policy, architecture or a related field and 2-5 years of experience in affordable housing. The candidate must be able to demonstrate experience in taking projects from acquisition, through financing, construction completion and into operations. Candidates should be able to demonstrate this experience on multiple specific developments. Experience in new construction Section 42 housing in the State of California a plus.
Candidates should be skilled with the MS Office Suite (including Microsoft Project, Microsoft Schedule), and recognize that detail oriented tasks are critical to a business’ long-term success. Responsibility for project success begins with Land Acquisition sign off and extends through the pulling of building permits. Project Management responsibilities are listed below.
This position reports to the Executive Vice President.
- Analyze sites for potential development opportunities based on California’s QAP and local funding opportunities.
- Perform site inspections and due diligence, evaluating and highlighting opportunities and risks.
- Organize, negotiate, coordinate, document and facilitate project partnership and land escrow closings.
- Manage and motivate a development team comprised of: Acquisition Manger, Entitlement Manager, Preconstruction Manager, Asset Manager, Construction Manager, and Project Accountant.
- Direct closing of acquisition, public agency, and construction financing.
- Manage efficiently tasks necessary to obtain entitlements, including neighborhood design meetings, submission of entitlement applications, attendance at public hearings, and on-going coordination of the project design team.
- Provide input on project design development and make sure project plans and specifications are received by various AMCAL Departments in a timely manner.
- Prepare project proformas and conduct feasibility analysis.
- Research and identify financing sources.
- Formulate and execute strategy for successful project funding applications to local, state, and federal agencies.
- Formulate and execute strategy for successful applications in response to Requests for Proposals (RFPs).
- Monitor and prepare project budgets, cash flow projections, and project schedules.
- Secure architectural, construction and other project approvals from planning and building departments and other regulatory agencies.
- Promote the highest quality development that reinforces AMCAL’s commitment to long term viability.
- Initiate and maintain ongoing interaction with Asset Management Department to ensure long term quality.
- Initiate and maintain ongoing cordial professional relationships with outside entities and various stakeholders.
- Attend interdepartmental meetings and general AMCAL meetings as required, including the corporate office in Agoura Hills, CA.
- Undertake any other projects or tasks as may be assigned.
Experience required in: land acquisitions; entitlements; Section 42 project financing; closing of acquisition and construction financing.
- High degree of independence, motivation, accountability and communication skills
- Demonstrated capacity in managing land use planning and project financing/feasibility
- Public speaking and presentation skills
- Ability to quickly learn local approval and entitlement process
- Skillful in assessing financial feasibility using a variety of funding sources
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced work environment with time sensitive material.
- Strong organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to lead, manage and motivate a team to work effectively.
- Position based in Agoura, CA
- A criminal background check and review of current driving record may be required
- Salary – DOE
- Health/Dental/Chiropractic coverage available for the employee the first day after after three months. Dependents can be covered at employee's expense
- Life Insurance the first day after 90 days
- 401K participation with matching after six months
- Three weeks leave (vacation, personal, sick) for the first six years.
- Eight paid holidays
- Discretionary bonus based on individual and company performance after FYE