The Director of Construction is responsible for the day-to-day production activities of AMWA Construction, Inc., for the purposes of constructing high-quality affordable and market-rate multi-family projects. The Director of Construction is also responsible for carrying out the goals and objectives set by the Vice President of Construction including daily construction operations and management of staff. The Director of Construction reports to the company’s Vice President of Construction.
The responsibilities of the Director of Construction include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist and support the Vice President of Construction in the execution of the company’s big picture goals and objectives.
- Ensure that all projects are completed on time, within budget, and at AMWA’s high standards.
- Review and approve all subcontractor, vendor, and supplier scopes of work, bid analysis sheets, subcontracts and purchase orders.
- Review and sign off on subcontractor pre-qualification statements and selections.
- Ensure that all required certificates of insurance are issued on a timely basis and with the proper coverages.
- Review and approve subcontract and purchase order exception forms.
- Sign off on employee expense reports and vacation requests.
- Review and approve subcontractor and vendor invoices.
- Review and approve subcontractor change orders.
- Assign projects to team members with a focus on the best possible fit.
- Manage project value engineering, constructability review, and error and omissions markup process.
- Conduct project kick-off meetings with the project team including the CM, ACM, CA, Super, and Asst. Super.
- Attend, represent and act as spokesman for AMWA at political, industry, and project specific events.
- Manage day-to-day activities of company employees.
- Resolve subcontractor/supplier disputes prior to becoming legal actions, keep CEO and Vice President of Construction informed as to any potential legal threats or actions.
- Ensure that permits are being pulled promptly.
- Interface with, and represent the company in, dealings with lending institutions and governmental agencies.
- Ensure that subcontractor relations and satisfaction are at the highest possible levels.
- Verify that all Notices of Completion are filed within the required timeframes.
- Sign off on all 48 hour notices before they go out.
- Attend framing walks.
- Monitor project specific utility company schedules and work progress.
- Monitor project RFI logs to verify that the information is getting to the field in a prompt and efficient manner.
- Oversee the submittal and shop drawings approval process.
- Manage company administrative function and personnel.
- Manage the execution of compliance requirements.
- Conduct hand-off meetings from Pre-Construction and Development to the project Construction Manager.
- Conduct turnover meetings to Property Management.
- Monitor consultant performance and provide input back to Development and Pre-Construction.
- Ensure that all project startups and closeouts are conducted properly.
- Review and monitor safety consultant reports for possible action.
- Interface with all AMWA/AMCAL-related departments including property management, accounting, human resources, administration, pre-construction, acquisition, and development.
- Ensure that all project completion dates and deadlines are met and that no fines or penalties are assessed against the company.
- Establish safety standards for field operations.
- Visit all projects under construction on a regular basis to ensure that they are being completed in accordance with AMWA standards.
- Attend all monthly project meetings.
- Monitor all weekly project field reports and ensure that the CMs are responding to them appropriately.
- Keep abreast of all new industry trends including new technologies, building techniques, and material offerings.
- Assist Vice President of Construction in conducting employee evaluations and reviews including the setting of goals.
- Assist Vice President of Construction in disciplining and/or terminating employees for cause.
- Update and maintain company Policies and Procedures (PNPs), and Best Practices.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings.
- Interface with Property Management with respect to property performance standards, warranties/guarantees, and customer service.
- Keep abreast of new and upcoming agency and building code requirements.
- Review and monitor Buyout reports and Job Costs to insure that profit levels are achieved.
- Participate in all punch list walks to ensure that AMWA standards are met or exceeded.
- Hold the line on internal construction and owner change orders.
- Position based in Washington.
- A criminal background check and review of current driving record may be required.
- Salary – DOE
- Health/Dental/Chiropractic coverage available for individual after three months. Dependents can be covered at employee’s expense.
- Life Insurance
- 401k program
- Three weeks leave (vacation, personal, sick) for the first six years
- Eight paid holidays
- Discretionary bonus based on individual and company performance after FYE.
- No phone calls, please.
- Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
AMWA is an independently owned and operated affiliate of AMCAL, a leading group of affiliated real estate companies founded in 1978 with headquarters in Agoura Hills, California. AMWA Construction Inc. builds all of AMWA’s projects. AMWA is an equal opportunity employer. For more information, please visit our website at www.amcalhousing.com.